Artel Quarra PTP 10G Ethernet Switch
When it comes to Audio or video over IP, you always want the most accurate PTP clock available ensuring the highest audio quality. Quarra switches support SMPTE Standards-based Timing ST 2110-10 and ST 2059-2 SMPTE and are RAVENNA AES67 and Dante approved. The variable and non-deterministic nature of IP network environments mean accurate and stable sync and timing is even more important in networked systems than it is in conventional broadcast or production systems.
£8,914.80 - (£7,429.00 ex VAT)
Artel Quarra PTP 10G Ethernet Switch
Most professional media network standards for audio and video employ the Precision Time Protocol (PTP/IEEE1588) time and sync protocol to synchronise all devices across the network. However, mission critical broadcast, production, safety and live network systems require specialist PTP-Smart network switches for correct PTP timing and sync data handling, which results in the best possible sync accuracy and optimum network and system performance, stability and capacity.
This is especially important as high-res video streams and increasing audio channel counts test network capacity and where crucial roundtrip timing is important for monitoring or musical timing. Inherent variations in network traffic transit times across the network result in increasing levels of jitter at each and every slave in the system, which require extended input and output buffer delays to prevent signal distortion and corruption due to missed or repeated samples.
The reality of not paying attention to reducing these timing variations are many and various, but include restricted network capacity, distorted or corrupted signal streams, delay problems for performers’ or contributors’ monitoring, slack musical timing etc. etc.
The Artel Quarra 10G switch is invaluable to any IP Audio/video network. Tested in conjunction with, and approved by ALC NetworX (Ravenna AES67) it gives operators a wide range of functionality with a straight forward easy to use interface.
Taking advantage of PTP2; the second version of the Precision Time Protocol enables the switch to time stamp data packets on entry and exit , drastically improving timing, accuracy and precision across the network.
The Artel Quarra 10G is a PTP-Smart Ethernet switch for use in Audio-over-IP and Video-over-IP networks with ten-ports fitted with 8 RJ45 Ethernet and 2 SFP that can be optionally fitted with fibre-optic or RJ45 Ethernet SFP transceiver modules.
The Quarra 10G is a 1U rack-mountable version that benefits from dual-redundant power supplies.
Why is accurate PTP important?
The PTP clock is the anchor to ensuring every device on the AoIP network is precisely synchronized. If the distance of devices varies there are going to be timing issues and the PTP clock ensures that all signals, however far, come together at exactly the same time. If they don’t, then ultimately you will get audio dropouts. It’s as important in an AoIP setup as a quality word clock master generator is to a traditional digital studio and you know how much of a difference that makes to the sound!
- Industry’s most accurate Timing Synchronization for nanosecond accuracy
- Synchronous Ethernet, Master and Slave. Precision clock timing
- Ravenna AES67 approved
- Straight forward to use
- Dual AC PSU for total redundancy
- Full management from Web GUI or command line interface
- No training required – units can be quickly and easily configured.
- Live Video
- Live Sound
- Audio Broadcast
- Music Production
- Post Production
- Broadcast DTT/DTV IP distribution
The Artel Quarra range is RAVENNA/AES67 Approved, meaning it’s the perfect switch for use in Audio-Over-IP setups. This makes it perfect for use with Merging Technologies Horus or HAPI, providing an elegant all in one solution for AES67.
The Artel Quarra switches provide the essential Quality-of-Service (QoS) and IGMP multicast management to extract the best sync and network performance for all audio-over-IP protocols, including
Audinate Dante, AES67, Ravenna and Livewire
- Dedicated PTP-Smart hardware and processing
- Guaranteed best network sync and timing performance for PTPv2 Audio-over-IP protocols such as AES67, Ravenna and Livewire
- Up to 100-fold improvement in jitter performance compared with standard Managed Switch technology
- Improved clock and sync stability in systems with mixed network and legacy video and audio sync references
- Consistent sync performance regardless of network size and complexity
- Improved immunity from PTP sync data buffering and latency due to heavy network traffic
- Tighter sync performance allows for reduced input and output buffer sizes, reducing signal latency and roundtrip times for improvements in, for example:
On-air or comms conversation fluency
- Musical performers’ timing
- Greater flexibility in network topology without compromise to sync performance
- Reduced workload for Network GrandMaster devices
- Facilitates common Dante and AES67 networks
- Optional GPS lock synchronises multiple sites or systems independent of distance and network inter-connection stability
- Carrier Grade switch platform with dual-redundant power supplies in the rackmount version