Vanguard Audio Labs V1S
The Vanguard V1S kit was created to be your most flexible and adaptable microphone system. The pair of four small capsules allow tonal variety on any number of sources and exceptionally well-suited for close-to-medium-range mic’ing of acoustic guitar, percussion, drums, piano, and stringed instruments.
After hundreds of hours of listening and testing exhaustive design variations with world-class engineers, we can confidently say that this microphone will exceed the performance of other pencil condenser microphones in its price range, and rival or exceed the performance of microphones costing several times more.
The Vanguard V1S is a stereo pair of multi-capsule FET pencil condenser microphones. Lovingly crafted by experts, it is designed to be a versatile, reliable and professional tool for any recording engineer, studio, producer, or artist. With a “straight-wire” circuit design, premium cryogenically-treated FET componentry, an unparalleled selection of capsules, and a true heavy-duty shock mount, the V1S will be your new studio workhorse.
The Vanguard V1 features in this review from Neil Rogers of Sound on Sound, read it here.
Four interchangeable capsules per microphone gives you unmatched flexibility – cardioid, wide cardioid, hyper cardioid, and omnidirectional. Ultra-sensitive 4-micron diaphragms, an anti-comb-filtering front design, and precision-machined backplates give wide consistency across each capsule. And if you want to step up your game even further, you can invest in the V34C “LOLLI” or the V1S+LOLLI! The LOLLI capsule adds another level to your V1S toolkit by coupling the smooth, lush sound of the custom-voiced V13 capsule with the precision and detail of the V1 microphone.
The small-diaphragm capsules begin with a 16mm 4µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragm, carefully positioned in front of a precision-machined, custom-voiced backplate. Vanguard engineered the housing to bring the diaphragm as close as possible to the front of the capsule housing, preventing comb filtering.
The capsule is coupled to a transformer-balanced solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of the capsules and is loaded with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers all over the world. The circuit is designed with an “In = Out” philosophy, with only four components present in the signal path.
Aesthetically, we think a microphone should look at least half as good as it sounds. The precision-machined brass body is coated with their signature Pinot Noir hue, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge.
The Vanguard V1S was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of combined experience and vetted by award-winning engineers and producers.
Every Vanguard microphone is backed by a FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY.
- Eight small-diaphragm 22mm capsules – cardioid, hyper-cardioid, omnidirectional, wide cardioid (pairs)
- Transformer-balanced solid-state circuit with premium-grade over-spec circuitry
- Ultra low-noise high-quality hand-biased JFET and other premium-grade components
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal & power path components
- Transformer-balanced output – custom-wound humbucking dual-bobbin transformer
- Works via 48V phantom power
- Heavy-duty brass, steel, and zinc construction
- Each V1 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Final Assembly & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
- 5-Year Warranty
- 22mm removable capsule – Cardioid (pair)
- 22mm removable capsule – Hypercardioid (pair)
- 22mm removable capsule – Omnidirectional (pair)
- 22mm removable capsule – Wide Cardioid (pair)
- VSSM small shockmount (pair)
- Padded pinewood microphone storage box
- Stereo microphone bar
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size (Small-Diaphragm): 0.87″/22mm
- Diaphragm Size (Small-Diaphragm): 0.78″ / 16mm
- Capsule Diaphragm Thickness (Small-Diaphragm): 4µm
- Electronics Type: Solid-state, transformer-balanced output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: >=136dB (0.5% THD @ 1000Hz)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Equivalent Noise Level: <15dbA
- S/N Ratio: TBA
- Sensitivity: TBA
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3-pin, gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch: N/A
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: N/A
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): TBA
- Weight (in case): TBA
- Dimensions (microphone): TBA
- Dimensions (case): TBA
- Voltage Requirement: Phantom Power (+48V ideal)