Vanguard Audio Labs V13
Designed with the character of an iconic vintage tube microphone while also utilising the latest technology to ensure that every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured. The V13 has been specifically engineered with warm, full lows, a precise and detailed midrange, and buttery-smooth high end. The result is a microphone that unifies warmth with clarity, depth with detail, and character with precision.
“I’ve never encountered a microphone that’s so expensive sounding at this price point” – Rob Tavaglione, Pro Audio Review
“The V13 provided a rich full tone. The top end felt smooth and extended, but not artificially bright or hyped” – Adam Kagan, Tape Op magazine
£848.40 - (£707.00 ex VAT)
The Vanguard Audio Labs V13 is a large-diaphragm multi-pattern valve condenser microphone. Crafted by experts over the course of 2 years, it combines vintage warmth with smooth modern detail. After extensive testing and listening by world-class engineers, the performance of this mic will rival or exceed that of both iconic vintage and modern microphones at a fraction of the cost.
The V13 excels when it comes to vocal style and timbre. Often microphones can be a bit choosy when it comes to different vocalists, but the V13 sounds great with almost any vocal complexion. When tested on both male and female vocalists in a diversity of ranges, styles, and genres, the V13 was the top option, despite being matched against microphones several times its cost. One important design objective was maintaining a low noise floor. And when tested against several $5000 European tube microphones, the V13 had the lowest noise floor by a significant margin.
Built to “no-compromise” standards, the V13 design features include an open-weave head basket for a natural sound with low internal reflections and a circuit that matches the unique musical properties of the capsule. This is achieved with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from around the world including cryogenically treated components in the signal path, a hand-selected European vacuum tube and a low frequency roll-off switch on the rear of the microphone.
The V13 was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of experience and vetted by world-famous award-winning engineers and producers.
The Vanguard V13 was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in Southern California with 100% quality control – every single microphone undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests before being hand-packed.
Every part of the Vanguard Audio Labs V13 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-specced. Cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components and brass, steel, aluminium, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by a five year warranty.
“Absolutely incredible price for a microphone that, quite frankly, could be THE only microphone you need “ – James Ivey, Pro Tools Expert
- Custom-voiced, edge terminated 34mm dual capsule assembly with 3um gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 9 Polar patterns (selectable at power supply)
- Vacuum tube analog circuitry with premium-grade components
- Hand selected European vacuum tube
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal path components
- Transformed-coupled output- humbucking, shielded, dual bobbin transformer
- -10dB pad and low-frequency rolloff toggle switches
- Robust power supply design for ultra-low noise floor
- Heavy-duty brass, aluminium, steel and zinc metal construction
- Rear venting to prolong tube and component life
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and “open-air” voicing
- Each V13 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- 100% Quality Control
- 5-Year Warranty/90-day warranty for vacuum tube.
- PS-13 Power Supply
- VLSM Large Shockmount
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Storage Box
- Locking Aluminium Carrying case
- 7-pin Braided Microphone Cable
- Power Cable
- PS-13 Power Supply
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
- Electronics Type: Valve/Tube, Transformer-Coupled Output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: 134dB (144dB with pad)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Equivalent Noise Level: 13dB (A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio: 82dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
- Sensitivity: -35dBV
- Output Connector: Male XLR 7-pin gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch: 125Hz (6dB/octave)
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: -10dB
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): 1.07 lbs / 0.48kg
- Weight (in case): 11.67 lbs / 5.29kg
- Dimensions (microphone): 8.18″ long, 1.98″ diameter / 208mm long, 50.5mm diameter
- Dimensions (case): 16.73″L x 12.80″W x 5.25″H / 425mmL x 325mmW x 142mmH
- Voltage Requirement: 110-240V